(aka Cold Wet Socks that make you feel better)
I know what you are thinking. I mean, really, putting wet socks on when you are already feeling sick? But hear me out – this really works! AND, you don’t have to buy anything or ingest anything. Free, easy, at-home symptom relief from the congestion and coughing that often disrupts our sleep when we are clearing a cold. How great is that? Try it out, and tell me how it works for you.
At the first signs of a cold, especially with cough or congestion. Also useful for sore throat or any inflammation or infection of the throat, ear infections, headaches, migraines, and sinus infections.
Reflexively increases circulation and decreases congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat. Sedating action: better sleep with the sock treatment! (And sleep allows us to heal, right?)
- Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. If you tend to be cold or have low vitality, try using cool water during the first treatment rather than cold water.
- Warm your feet if they are cold. The treatment may not be as effective if your feet are not warmed first. Warming can be accomplished by soaking your feet in warm water for at least 5-10 minutes or taking a warm bath for 5-10 minutes.
- Dry off your feet and body with a dry towel.
- Wring the cotton socks out thoroughly so they do not drip and place the socks on your feet.
- Put thick (dry) wool socks over the cotton socks.
- Get in bed. Cover well and sleep all night with socks on, it should be relaxing and not uncomfortably cold. If you are unable to sleep because of the cold socks consider removing the socks and soaking your feet again, this time using cool rather than cold water to wet the cotton socks. Your feet and the cotton socks should be warm and dry in the morning. If your feet are cool or the cotton sock is still damp, consider increasing the length of the hot foot soak.
- Note: for coughing or congestion, elevating your head by adding an extra pillow (on top of your usual) is also helpful and sleep-promoting.